…and that is, well, brown, really.
This is my first attempt at “natural” dying. I read an article, which inspired me, in Yarn magazine around 6 months ago which described the method and colours obtained from dying with eucalyptus. The colours were absolutely to die for, golds, umbers, ochres and greens (not a brown in sight, I can assure you).
Anyway I finally got around to giving it a try this weekend. I collected 200 grams of eucalyptus leaves from young trees at the front of the property to dye about 100g of 100% suri alpaca commercially spun, unbleached, undyed yarn.
Everything was going swimmingly. I soaked the leaves overnight and then boiled them for a couple of hours the next day. The colour of the resulting dye liquid looked gorgeous, kind of a rich amber. I treated the yarn with alum and popped it in.
Everything went downhill from there, unfortunately, I have tried different terms in my head to describe the resulting colour. Fawn, beige, caramel but I think I will have to stick with, well, brown….